Letter to son - May 2012

Hello Poppett

You continue to grow and amaze me, your language skills are coming along marvellously, some might say that you never shut up (did you get that from me too?), but you speak in sentences, though they are not always 100% intelligible, and i often have to translate for others.  You talk about what you have been doing, recently and sometimes quite a long time ago too, you amaze me with what you remember.  Mostly though you talk about trains, oh how you love thomas!  When you meet new people you tell them 'a thomas a den den aaa puff away aaa a choo-choo' which always makes me laugh and confuses them! A denn a a a are your fillers, the noises you make when you don't know the exact words, or when you are thinking of what to say next.

I can watch your little toes all day, you refuse shoes and socks most of the time so I get to watch your feet from all angles - your toes seem to express everything you are feeling or doing - the tops, the bottoms, your little round toe pads and the toes from underneath and your curly big toe just like mine but obviously way way more perfect.   I'm amazed you don't get cold but you don't seem to really feel the cold, tough little cookie you are.  You'd rather be outside in all weathers, I've got some lovely pictures here of some of the activities we get up to.

Our back garden is ace now, your lovely Aunties bought you a trampoline for Easter and i got a bubble machine off Ebay, so with the sand pit that Nicki bought you last year, and the paddling pool, we are all set to go when and if the weather improves.  Still waiting though - it's been a bit rainy so far, and cold.

You're amazing and the funniest dude I've ever met, you're cool, and kooky, and laid back all at the, same time and such a joyful person, you are a pleasure to be around, not just for me and your family who all adore you, but you make strangers smile too.   You're so kind too, always there with a hug or a kiss if anybody's hurt.  At the water park there was this little tiny girl, youngest than you and her mummy was busy smoking in a car and had left her to be looked after by her sister.  The sister was nowhere to be seen so this poor girl got so upset when we had to leave but you would not leave her until we had found her mother.  Your compassion amazes me, for somebody so young. 

Your hair is growing a bit now and I love to drink in the softness of it on my nose when I snuggle up to your warm head.  It is not black hair as I had expected but a reddish-brown, with lovely soft curls developing on your crown and spreading across your head.  You are a stunner, with your deliciously sun-kissed soft skin, your glow-white eyes and their deep dark liquid chocolate irises.  So full of vibrance, your Great Grandma who died four weeks ago used to call you 'happy happy happy', when her tumour prevented her brain from remembering your real name.

She was a wonderful person, your Great Granny and it has broken my heart to see her die so slowly but she always smiled when she saw you - her face lit up every time.  You used to go up to her and play with your trains on her blankets 'up a gordons hill' you'd say, directing your train up the mountain of her bedclothes as she lay immobile for the last year of her life.  You won't remember her as we do, she was always in bed but she was a very active and independent lady until just after you were born.  She held you when you were a baby but soon lost the use of her limbs but she adored you, her eyes did the talking when her brain couldn't find the words any more.  It has been so hard for all of us losing her, and I tried to explain it to you; "Grandma's gone to heaven" I said, "Kevin?" you replied "erm not Kevin honey, heaven, up with the angels in the clouds".  "Kevin." you said, as if you were telling me God was called Kevin.  So bearing in mind the only Kevin you know works fixing trains at Sodor Island steam-works, it must be a strange place that Grandma has gone.  Mind you I suppose your idea of heaven WOULD be Sodor island!!

Anyway, Mummy has a big day tomorrow in court with your Daddy so I had better get some sleep, though the whole thing leaves me a bit sleepless - I've no idea how to explain the whole situation to you, and when.  Maybe when you can read, I'll let you read the court statements, his and mine, and you can make your own mind up.

Still loving you more every day, my sunshine my sweetness my light
Supermum (we were playing supermum earlier - i flew down and got you unstuck from the muddy puddle, you liked that!) xxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to Twitter

Letter to twitter part 2

letter to my son 3