letter to my son 3

Dearest Darling

I need to blog more, you’re learning new tricks all the time, and there’s always some I’ve forgotten. This week you amazed me by taking three steps one day, then two the next, and then…you decided that crawling is the best option and refused to even be tricked into bi-legged mobility. We shall see what next week brings!

This week you’ve not only been suffering a nasty cough and cold but you’ve managed to push another tooth out and develop an interest in bushes. Yes, bushes. I suppose it’s nice to have an interest. Bless ya. The buds are just starting to grow again so we can watch how the trees and bushes spring into life over the next few months and by autumn you will be walking and we can pick blackberries together.

I forgot to mention last week that you can blow bubbles in the bathwater. Don’t ask me why, but I just know that is an incredibly clever thing for a one year old to do. And you help me undress you by lifting each leg as I ask, but as for nappy changes, well, you’ve made that one into your own little game of chase-me.

You and Shadow get along swimmingly. That poor dog has taken more than one or two bashings over the head from you, meant in a loving way, I know. He’s a very tolerant animal with you, he knew you even when you were in my tummy and helped me when you were coming out more than any other human around me did. He protected me in pregnancy and helped me in my labour pains when no-one else was around. You have your way of communicating with him already, and he listens to you, but thankfully my commands take priority. Clever dog. I have had to get him to sit at the door while we are eating because you like dropping food for him to eat, and that is not good manners for a dog. Everyone was worried that my hyperactive dog would be too lively for you, but he has adapted with much grace, and become much calmer in the house, despite being sometimes a little over-protective on the walk.

Oh, it’s late now and I’ve forgotten what I was going to write, I really must make notes for you, because I don’t want to forget anything about you and your amazing life. I mentioned your music, but you know now how to turn the radio on and off. That’s pretty cool. You love the radio..

Did I mention you do stairs? Up AND down (closely supervised, of course, with gates at each end)? And off the bed and armchair, but not on, yet, though you are trying. Did I mention your whole body smiles, where you are so happy that your arms and legs move as well as your amazing sparkly smile and laugh? So cute. But the best thing of all is your big wide-mouthed kisses, even when they are accompanied by lashings of dribbly snot. “Come and give mummy a kiss” doesn’t always work but the best times are the unprompted hugs and kisses, moments that melt my soul.

Sweetest dreams my angel, and be brave for your injections tomorrow,
Mummy xxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

  1. Lovely post. Something to look back on in years to come. Yes, dogs do take a lot of stick from our kids but they are so unconditional, make a wonderful addition to the family. Hope the injections go well.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, not injections :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to Twitter

Letter to twitter part 2