Letter to son part 2

Darling Son

I've been meaning to write to you again so that we can both remember the momentous leaps and bounds that you are making in this world. Since you turned One you seem to be getting funnier and cleverer every day. Your skill set improves exponentially each week. You have learnt to shake your head for no. This you do, with much hilarity, before proceeding to do what you are not supposed to, like chewing the edges of your book, dropping food on the floor or touching your Grandad's DVD player. I am not much help in honing this skill for you because every time you do it I find it impossible not to laugh at the cuteness of it all. Your first word was Mummy, you have been saying this since you were only eight months old but last week you came out with "oh dear" and then "dear dear". Which makes me wonder how often I’m saying it. From you though my dear it is heartbreakingly lovely to hear, your own very first phrase, and I am so proud.

You have always been a great communicator, and have connected with people through your special wink (a look, then a blink) for months. You know how to touch people’s hearts with a smile and everywhere we go you make new friends - I can’t even go to Asda without several people commenting on your gorgeousness. Before Christmas you would move my hand to something if you wanted me to pick it up, or to the words on a book if you wanted me to read them. Now everything is "dat" and you point, and I go to, or move you to, what it is that you want to look at. Which is quite a lot of things during the course of a day, because you seem totally fascinated by the world around you.

I am very pleased that you have inherited my love of books and will willingly look at them, and bring them to me to read for you. Your favourite book at the moment is a tiny book from the hungry caterpillar bloke and it has animals in it and their corresponding noises. You bring it to me to read and get impatient and turn the page to the duck page and get me to do the quack quack sound. I'm not sure where your fascination with ducks has come from, you love the duck picture on the wall, and the duck on your Granny’s shelf, the duck birthday card she had and today you got me to walk back to the ducks on the pond when we were out on the walk. I am quite fond of ducks myself, but it's not something I’ve ever particularly communicated to you. On the other hand, you love the bees’ page too, and do a pretty good bee noise yourself (the duck noise is more like a growl at the moment) and today we were playing with the orange monkey and you were doing monkey noises too. Big smiley.

I am trying to teach you to colour in and draw, but so far you're more interested in chewing the crayons, though you have made some squiggles, so we are getting there. You took to building a lot better, with the building blocks I got to review this week. I am very impressed that after only a few days you can put bricks on each other, though mostly you seem to enjoy deconstructing my constructions.

Food, you are great with, you love your food, another inherited trait of mine no doubt, and you are getting much better at not throwing it all on the floor now, though mealtimes are still a big messy fun time, especially now you wont wear a bib and have worked out how to swiftly remove them. Too clever by half! I only read about baby led weaning after we had already started this method - you never would take food from a spoon, preferring instead to help yourself. Thank goodness for Shadow eh? That dog's been getting well fed as he cleans up after mealtime.

I'm trying to teach you baby signing, have been doing since we attended that course - I bet you cant remember now can you - and your very first sign was the one for I love you. Well, your version of the sign, where you grab your left wrist. It gets my heart every time though. You have done milk a few times, and duck too, but I really want you to tell me when you are hungry, thirsty or need a nappy change. We can work on those.

You love your musical toys, when you are making music yourself you face lights up with such an intense delight, and you love me to join in too, bringing me an instrument to shake along with you. You have been drumming on whatever surfaces are available since you were very very young and I’ll get you some bongos or something as soon as you’re a bit bigger and I'm a bit richer. You love to make Red Indian noises and find it hilarious to use your hand on my mouth while I do it too. We have so much laughter, honestly, everyone should have a You in their lives, I don’t know much about babies but everyone comments on how happy you are.

Everyone doubted that id make a good mum, in fact my own mum once said to me I’d make a rubbish mum. I should never have listened should I? Because you and me Son, we're doing fantastic, we have already proved them all wrong a million times over. I hope I carry on being a good mum, I have my moments of self doubt and I’m sure you'll tell me I’m crap when you’re older but for now I am lost in this perfect little mummy-son bubble of love, delirious with happiness at your wonderfulness and excited to be supporting you on this amazing journey of discovery that is Your Life.

And now to bed my poppet, so that I can be a not-too-tired mum tomorrow at granny and grandads.

sweet dreams gorgeous,

mummy xxxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to Twitter

Letter to twitter part 2

letter to my son 3