a day at the farm park

Dear LionCub

Although I have been rather neglectful in my intended-to-be regular correspondence to you, I felt today that I really must at last put pen to paper (so to speak). I think that today I have had quite possibly one of the best days of my life EVER. I hope that you think so too, though if truth be told, you are not really likely to remember it, your being only almost 16 months old. Despite the early morning start (resulting in a mild but persistent headache for me) and quite a major (for you, who is the sunniest-natured person I’ve ever met) meltdown in asda (to be honest, I wanted to cry too, it was dreadfully busy) I think today has been totally super. We awoke, as we do, to the sound of 1xtra on the radio, though today it was the alarm clock rather than you who initiated the music. Rather than luxuriating in bed with a little cuddling and play, as is our usual fashion, we got ourselves up and headed downstairs (yes, you can walk downstairs all by yourself now) to walk our furry friend Shadow. You travel in the baby backpack and you love to point out ‘dat’, ‘dat’ ,‘dat’, as we walk, requesting that I take you to touch the trees and bushes and pick the dandelions for you. It was a sunny day and the dandelions weren’t even awake at that early hour, the grass in the field is getting long now and gave my wellies a good wash with the early morning dew.

There are lots of cows in the fields now and we wave to them as we go past – I am probably teaching you bad habits there that will only serve to embarrass you as you grow older. On the way back home we didn’t have time today to stop and chat with ‘our’ cows, the young cows in the field along the lane opposite us, who come over to us when we stop to see them, crowding around and licking my hand. I am quite fond of cows. You didn’t eat your breakfast today, as you usually do, you are a good eater, but maybe it was a bit too early. We went upstairs to get dressed and you wanted to come and sit in the shower with me, it fascinates you, my little water-baby – I think you’d sit in the shower all day if I let you and we weren’t on a water meter. We left the house almost on time for a change, because mummy is a late lady, as you know, and we are always rush-rush-rushing. I drove in my little blue car while you had a nap in the back and arrived at the farm park only a little late. Somewhat bemused and uninterested in our feathered friends you were more interested in pushing your pushchair in your new flashing big-boy shoes and charming everyone with your great walking skills and heart-stopping smiles.

You came alive in the four-legged beasties section though, and giggled excitedly as the little goats nibbled treats from mummy’s fingers before reaching for the bag yourself and pushing treats through the wire fence to the eager and greedy little kids. Nor were you particularly impressed with the furry black cows or the big ugly-looking pig but I could hardly tear you away from the little deer, with whom you appeared to be closely bonding with over your bag of nibbly bits. You pushed your buggy all the way up the hill and delighted in being able to stroke a baby rabbit. You can be oh-so gentle and thoughtful, you are an incredible little boy, I sometimes have to remind you to be gentle, but even though you have very masculine and strong-looking hands, they can be ever so tender.

I always love coming home with you, we have a lovely home now, me, you and Shadow and a big-enough garden. It has been glorious weather this week so I bought you some sand to play with. We are so happy just chilling in the garden together, pottering around. You are a busy little soul, you always have something to do and there is nothing I enjoy more than sitting playing with you and listening to you chat baby-talk so animatedly to me, sharing with me a little of your world. I cooked us a simple but perfect tea of salmon, potatoes and baby sweetcorn which you shared with me, because you like to feed me too, sometimes, because you are a caring and generous soul. You complained a bit when I had to wash up because you were a little tired and grumpy so you had a quicker-than-usual bath to clear up the bits of dinner that you had distributed liberally throughout your soft downy hair.

And now you are lying beside me, because you still wont sleep alone, though now I have got used to it and to be honest I think I would miss your presence in my bed now. The comforting sound of your breath and the occasional deep sigh as you sleep spread out on your back, as perfect as an angel. I look at your little face, your arms, your legs, your feet, your toes; there is not one bit of you that I don’t adore, worship, marvel at, and wonder how as imperfect as I am that I could have somehow given you life, my amazing, incredible son.

Sweet dreams sweetness,

Your ever-loving,
Mummy xxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to Twitter

Letter to twitter part 2

letter to my son 3