letter to son - july

Dear Son

It's been quite a long time since I last chronicled your wonderfulness but I feel so happy today that I feel I must just get on the computer and write you another letter. Today we have been hanging out in the garden. The weather is hot and sunny but not too hot, just right, and we have been playing in your sandpit and paddling pool. You love to play with the hose pipe and then to fill up a little tub from the paddling pool and go and water the plants for me. I've been making bubbles with the bubble wand I got from asda and you and shadow will chase them and pop them. But mostly we just hang out, chatting, playing and snuggling a bit too. Your language skills are developing now, until this week it has all be variations of 'da' but you really sound as if you are saying words now, and sentences. Some things you say I can understand, like your words of shadow 'dado', that 'dat', and 'dere', banana 'nanana' and grandad 'dadada'. And of course, the most important word 'mama'. And your very funny 'bleugh' and 'omnomnomnom'. Oh – and your 'oh dear' and 'dear dear' never fail to amuse, and your 'yeah' makes my heart just sparkle. I cant wait to hear what you have to say for yourself when you start 'real' talking – you always have so much to say.

You walk really well now and can go for good distances, you can run, and fall, and bravely pick yourself up again and carry on. You can climb, and make my heart stop sometimes with your bravery! You love Shadow and give him a lovely cuddle sometimes in the day and always before bed. Sometimes you are a little rough with him and I have to ask you to be gentle but on the whole you love your doggy and have a brilliant relationship with him. You still love your food and adore eating fruit (good) and crisps and biscuits (not so good). I think your favourite at mealtimes are potatoes, pasta and noodles, but you seem to have gone off fish a bit recently. You still take milk from me too, and show no signs of wanting to stop.

I can look at you all day, your growing body is so perfect in every way – your legs seem so long now, and they were so tiny not so long ago. I love to kiss your perfect feet, with their toes just like a more perfect version of mine – you got your strong thighs from me too. You're so ticklish, but you like to be tickled and make me do it sometimes to you! You blow rasperries on my wobbly belly and giggle with delight. You make red indian 'wowowowow' type noises with your mouth and 'obbleobbleobble' with your fingers on your lips – the skills! We laugh so much, and your laugh fills my soul with golden rays of light, your smiles and cuddles make my tummy tickle with delight. Your soggy wet kisses are like the purest spring water being dripped on my lips and make my whole body smile.

You still haven't got much hair, which is good news for me because you are so full of life I doubt you'd like to sit still and have your hair cut. From the moment you wake up you are on the go, so busy and always doing something, only slowing down when you are tired. I love your curious nature and how you point out parts of the world that I had forgotten to look at – the bees, the flowers, the swishy-swashy grass and the planes flying high in the clouds. You have given me an opportunity to notice the world all over again through fresh new eyes. You love the outside and will be out there at every available opportunity. You love your Granny and especially Grandad, and will take him all over the place when you visit theirs – all over their big gorgeous adventure-playground garden.

You're just amazing, so quick and bright – you only need to be shown something once and you 'get' it. You love your picture books and can point to the right objects if I name them, and make the correct noises for most of the animals and vehicles, and/or do the baby sign language for them too. My favourites are your most beautiful 'meow', which started off sounding a bit like 'be-er', and your 'oof' is super-funny. The delight on your face when you do something correctly or solve a puzzle is like a fairy dust twinkle on my heart. You are rarely upset, only when you are tired or in pain – you are the happiest, smiliest most confident little boy and I am so proud. You are so bossy! You grab people hands and take them to where you want to go, or show them what you want. For one who cannot talk, you are very good at getting your point across!

If I could bottle these moments I could – this summer has doubtless been my very favourite summer yet – just hanging out with you and stopping to look at the world together has been the most wonderful opportunity. I wish I could keep your cuddles in a box for when you are all too grown up to be with your mummy. I hope I remember the heart-melting softness of your perfect skin against my cheek and the sweet sweet heady smell of your breath, and warm cosy-sweet scent of your hair and neck (when you sit still enough for me to experience this!). I love you, in fact, through and through, yesterday, today, and tomorrow, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to Twitter

Letter to twitter part 2

letter to my son 3