Halloween 2014, and a term into the school thing

Good Spooky-eve darling,

We have just had the Best Summer Ever.  Not only did the sun shine brightly upon us, giving us a healthy glow and turning my pallor into a tan the equivalent if yours, but it was the last stint of freedom for us before the pressures of school and work kicked in.  We revelled in each other's company, just hanging out together and playing, swimming outdoors and visiting new and old places.

You were delighted to be able to swim confidently with only your shark's fin on, and I was so proud of your new-found skill.  You learned to write your own name, and mine too, and even before school began you were spelling words out loud and trying to read.  You've always had an interest in words, right from when you were small you've asked me what things say.  You've never shown much interest in drawing, but you enthusiastically craft me loving written notes, in big confident letters, and roll them up,and deliver them to me shyly, and then ooze pride as I read the words back to you.

The words you use to speak are rich and varied, using language that even some adults don't understand, but then, I have never spoken to you like an idiot because you are not one. If you don't understand, you are not afraid to ask, and you grasp new words and concepts easily, and then use them effectively.  You think, and you do, you have that dreamy look in your eyes that I get, you consider options, ponder upon concepts but don't delay to act when something needs doing. 

You've shot up in height this year too, gaining at least four inches so far.  Your strong and useful looking hands are fascinating to me, as your fingers and nails grow bigger, always active, making, exploring, emphasising, fixing.  Your body is getting longer and firmer, with little fat just good strong muscles developing from your energetic play.  I look at you in the bath and contemplate upon how you almost fill it up now, and remember the baby massage days when your legs were so small I could only massage them upwards with three small thumb circles. 

I was so sad to see you leave on your first day of school but you are in one of the best schools in this area and your class is small and friendly.  You've always been sociable and know many of the older children locally from the parks, so you settled in well and are progressing magnificently with your reading.  You've loved the book about the Gingerbread Man since Granny bought it for you, and this week you came home with that story from school and have just read it to me for your bedtime story tonight. 

I am trying to make my business into a regular income so I have been keeping busy, but when I am walking S, I sometimes see a mother with her toddler or hear children playing in the distance and it breaks my heart that you are not with me.  I really miss you during the day, and you miss me too, "we are perfect for each other" you say, and "I love you too much".  You also told me, in horror, that you would NEVER want to go anywhere without me, even when you are older, so I am noting this down here to remind you ;)  You also insisted that you would always love Thomas, which is actually a more realistic promise, if Ant is anything to go by!

We have a thing we say to each other "I love you", "I love you more than you love me", "That's impossible because I love you more than anybody's loved anybody ever".  Which has sort of morphed into "we love each other the same" with massive hugs. 

The best time of day is when I pick you up from school - I am always SO happy to see you - and on a Friday it's even better, because we can relax and snuggle up in bed on a Saturday morning without having to rush rush rush to get to school on time.  School has taken you away from me but has made our moments together even more precious, so I try to make the most of them when they arrive.

You have a new snake friend called Lady, an eighteen month old ball python who was rescued from an uncaring owner and rehomed with us for our nurturing natures.  You have demonstrated your  kindness, respect for life and patience even in the first week of her stay, leaving her alone to settle in when all you wanted to do was to hold her.  It was hard enough for me to leave her alone and I am fully grown, so I am so proud of you for your self-control. 

You're amazing, you've got a quick brain, a very down-to-earth and practical side to you and you are gentle, caring and compassionate.  You're a lot like your Grandad in so many ways, and physically very much like me in construction.  You're very body-confident - strong and have a great sense of balance, I totally trust you not to fall and hurt yourself as you do crazy stunts like balancing on my shoulders or knees.  If something needs doing or fixing, you don't procrastinate, you just get on and do it.  You're such a great son, I couldn't have wished for a more perfect human being to grow in my tum, and grow up beside me, and you are extremely witty and cute as a button (Eunice) to boot!

You're freakin AWESOME dude :)

Love pure & true till the end of time,

Your Mummy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to Twitter

Letter to twitter part 2

letter to my son 3